At Pinpoint Digital one of the content management systems that we work with heavily is WordPress. This is an open source content management system that is used by more than 26.4% of the top 10 million web sites (as of April 2016, according to Wikipedia). We offer a range of WordPress related services including:
- Custom template creation based on a custom design project.
- Plugin installation, configuration and modifications as well as creating plugins from scratch.
- E-Commerce integration using the WooCommerce plugin.
- Performance optimization and bug fixes for existing WordPress web sites.
While WordPress is not always the best solution we do recommend it for many of our customers. The following are the major reasons why it is often a good fit.
- Since WordPress is the most popular content management system it is supported by a large number of developers. This means that you will always be able to easily find a company to support your web site. Companies that choose less commonly used content management systems (such as Joomla or Drupal) may have a harder time finding a new developer to support their web site.
- WordPress is open source which means that volunteers contribute their time to enhancing the solution and make their improvements available for others. This has resulted in WordPress having a very large number of plugins. WordPress currently has over 45,000 plugins listed on their web site. If you use a less widely used content management system you’ll end up having to write custom functionality from scratch. While WordPress doesn’t have plugins for everything (and while some of them charge nominal fees) it’s often the case that you’ll be able to find a plugin that will do what you need it to do. Additionally, the plugin system allows for easily extending WordPress with custom functionality that isn’t already available.
- WordPress has a relatively easy to use administration area. This makes it easy for clients to update the content on their web site without having to turn to their web developer for every change. This administration area coupled with training that we provide for all WordPress deployments provides a solution that we believe promotes clients actually updating their web site.