Turn Your Blog Into a High Performance Website
WordPress is one of the top blogging platforms on the web today and available in both a hosted and non-hosted version, WordPress.com and WordPress.org, respectively. What’s more…it’s free. This ultra flexible platform is more akin to a lightweight content management system (CMS) than it is a basic blogging platform, for which it became best known. Today you have the ability to transform even the simplest WordPress template simply by installing one or more free WordPress plugins.
What’s a Plugin?
A plugin is a small program or application that adds features and functionality to your blog or website. These applications are easily retro-fitted to any WordPress platform. Most plugins can be implemented as easily as clicking an “install” button. Others may require you enter an API key, adjust some settings, or click through an installation wizard, but even then the learning curve is relatively low.
Types of WordPress Plugins
There are hundreds of different types of WordPress plugins available through WordPress.org.
Plugins may improve user-experience, such as:
- Surveys and polls
- Social media widgets and features
- RSS feeds
- Shopping carts
Or they may provide you with back-end features, like:
- Stats and analytics
- Search engine optimization
- Web-to-mobile converters
- Sitemap generator
WordPress and the plugins enable you to create a very powerful website with little technical skills and with only the money you pay out for your domain name and the web hosting.
Choosing Your Plugins
Because there are hundreds of WordPress plugins how do you narrow down those you’d like to install? Here are some tips:
- Make a quick list of the features you’d like to add to your site or blog. (For example, RSS feed, automatic email response sent to commenters, poll or survey, pop-up to collect leads, SEO package, etc.)
- Use the plugins ratings and comments available on WordPress.org to help refine your list of plugins.
- Explore sites and blogs similar to yours noting features and plugins they use that you’d like to investigate further.
- Install selected plugins and test them for awhile. Plugins are just as easy, if not easier, to uninstall if you don’t like them or no longer need them.
Don’t have the time to set up your own WordPress site and plugins?
You’re not alone. Many online business owners simply run out of time in their day to set up or maintain even a small site. Pinpoint Digital can help you with setting up your WordPress site, installing plugins, and with ongoing site support, when you need it.
Learn how to create a steady stream of content for your blog.