The speed of your website is essential to its success. Users do not want to wait for pages or page elements to load. Instead of waiting, most users will simply navigate to another page found in the search engine results. For a business owner, this can mean that you are losing business to your competitors. Instead of losing business over lagging load times, speed up your website.
Working with your web developer is the best way to improve the performance of your website, but you can take some steps to improve the speed yourself. One way to improve the speed of your web pages without impacting on your existing web design is to make your image files smaller in Photoshop. Image files can be reduced in size without reducing their quality or appearance on web pages. Here’s how you can make image files smaller in Photoshop:
- Open your image file in Photoshop.
- Set the resolution of the image to 72 pixels per inch.
- Check the size of the image. Try to keep the dimensions under 600-by-800 pixels.
- Save for web. The window will provide you with a series of visualizations of the file. You can view the file size of each visualization.
- Evaluate the size and appearance of each visualization and select the one that looks the best, yet has a small file size.
- Save your file and use the image in your website.
While there are many different ways to optimize your photos for the web, using the Save for web feature in Photoshop is perhaps the easiest for novices. It provides you with a visualization of the images and the file sizes so you can choose which version will work best for your website.
If you’re unsure, you can work with your web developer to optimize your photos. Your web development professional will also be able to make the necessary changes to improve the overall speed and performance of your website. Ultimately, this will lead to lower bounce rates, improved engagement and increased conversions.
If you are ready to take speeding up your website to the next level, and are considering a re-design to improve accessibility of content, please contact us today and we’ll be happy to provide you with a quote!