How to Create Potent Inbound and Outbound Links to Your Site
Linkbuilding is one of the key strategies used to generate traffic to any website. Savvy businesses and marketers combine linking strategies with their SEO (search engine optimization) and content development efforts to maximize the downstream results.
Maximize Linkbuilding Efforts
Spend your precious time and energy focused on the following aspects of a holistic linkbuilding strategy:
- Creating internal or onsite links
- Compelling others online to link to your site or content—building external, offsite, or backlinks
- Optimizing link text when you can
- Developing and implementing a content marketing plan
Onsite Link Strategies
Internal or onsite links help connect the content you have on your own website. Onsite links help drive customers to important information, more relevant content, or towards successful completion of a particular task or sale.
Consider your customers or visitors when creating your own links.
- Use keyword optimized text for embedding your links, as opposed to “click here” or “view more.”
- Make sure the link matches the page your customers or visitors will be taken to. For example:
Learn more about buying gold with our secret gold buyers guide. >>
Links to a page or report titled “The Secrets to Buying Gold the Government Doesn’t Want You to Know.” (purely fictional example).
Show me more about how to buy gold. >>
Links to a page titled “Prices of Silver Skyrocket” with no obvious mention of the important gold buying info you promised.
This type of A-matches-B model makes your content crystal clear for users. Engaged users stay on your site longer, complete transactions and may link to you, talk about you, or buy from you.
Important: Use this method of linking for article marketing, ads and landing pages, reports and whitepapers, press releases, video marketing, etc.
Building Valuable External or Backlinks
External or offsite links, sometimes called backlinks, are those that send traffic from other websites or blogs. These links can be powerful for placing your site high in the search results. External links help build your site’s visibility, relevance, and authority in your market or niche.
- Engage other online businesses via social media, forums, online groups, and blogging.
- Share content you think others may find valuable—free reports, webinars, whitepapers, even others’ content to build your “voice” and authority.
- Create additional rivers of online content: articles, blog, press releases, and videos, for starters.
You can build dozens even hundreds of backlinks from offsite content you develop, as well. In fact many of the most successful marketers online have multiple streams of content, including websites, articles, videos, reports, and blogs used to drive visitors and carve a big online presence.